The title of this post was going to be What Hollywood should make instead of doing Remakes, but that was long and awkward. Moving on: Here’s my list of Movies that need to be made. If Hollywood isn’t making a Remake, it’s pulling books from the Teen Age Girl section at the book store. And that’s fine… for Teenage Girls. What about us Blokes? Us guys that want something made fresh. What do we get? 214 different reboots of Comic Books, Giant Monsters, and Giant Robots… I want something NEW on the screen… Because there are a lot of fun books out there that would make awesome movies.
Also – this is a list of freaking awesome books that if you have NOT read – You need to because you are missing out. Read the books or get the Audio Book. But take this stuff in and glory in the majesty.
1. Monster Hunter International, by Larry Freaking International Lord of Hate Correia. And all the follow on MHI books. One good solid movie for each book. The director should be Guillermo del Toro. Casting choices can be argued in the comments.
2. The Iron Druid Chronicles, by Kevin Hearne. One of my favorite series of books, written by someone I don’t know. They are wonderfully clever, funny, daring, and truly very interesting books that hold my attention cover to cover. The Director for this… Maybe Wes Anderson, because of the quirkiness factor.
3. Grimnoir Chronicals, by LFILOHC. The three books in the GC series are epic. They have tenderness in parts, and loads of action, iconic characters, and they have a solid universe… world building is important here. I think the Coen Brothers for this… they could really add the gritty texture these movies would need, and give it that edgy feel. Again, each book it’s own movie to be released 2 months apart. None of that year long wait.
4. Dead Six, by Mike Kupari and LFILOHC. Both books. The action and pacing of these books needs a Director that can keep up. Now, I know who you guys would probably go to on this… But I’m thinking it needs some more flair than that to do these Characters justice. I want the physical action to really blow you away. I’m thinking Ridley Scott is the man for that.
5. The Uprising Saga, by George H Hill. Uprising Italia by Zach Hill as well as the other books coming by other authors. I’d like to say Michael Mann or some other ultra realistic director to get that jaw dropping gritty reality, but no. That’s not right. Because Uprising is literary junk food that should not be taken too seriously… Quentin Tarantino. If Dead Six is a perfectly grilled Porterhouse, then Uprising is a Microwaved Hot Pocket and a Mountain Dew Kickstarter to wash it down. It’s what Walking Dead SHOULD HAVE BEEN. And by the way, I think someone at AMC read Uprising… A Governor that takes over things with an eyepatch? Really? (Just kidding, I know the comic book predates Uprising…. but still)
6. Armor by John Steakley. Since we are talking about new films and not remakes… there’s no hope of a reboot of Starship Troopers. This is like the same thing but from a different perspective. James Cameron can do the alien world and military might better than anyone in sci-fi.
7. Old Man’s War by John Scalzi. This book is probably more special to me than it should be…. but it really resonated with me. From a movie making standpoint – this movie would be impossible without the right director. J.J. Abrams made me like Star Trek. If he can do that, he can do this.
8. At the Mountains of Madness, by HP Lovecraft. Directed by Guillermo del Toro. The movie Guillermo has been wanting to make… Let him do it! If anyone does this movie… it should be Guillermo. No one else can do it justice. For God’s sake not Tim Burton…
Other books I want to see on the screen… The Stars my Destination, American Gods, Redshirts, and The Horus Heresy series.
What do you want to see made and who should direct it or be in it? Also, what do you think of my picks and who should be cast?