SIG has always been one of my favorite gun companies. I’ve said before that SIG is one of the three gun makers that I would bet my life on out of the box. Their handguns on the 22X series are world class. The P220 has been called “The Thinking Man’s .45.” And for good reason. It’s extremely accurate and reliable… a personal favorite as is the 228 and 229 pistols. I tend to equate SIG as being the Mercedes Benz of the handgun world. SIG’s 550 series of rifles is also top notch. Yet SIG is not without its flaws. What SIG makes themselves is generally pretty dang good… What SIG doesn’t make is where the problems lay. All except the P250 pistol.
The SIG P250 is an interesting idea that’s poorly executed. I’m not really a fan and I don’t think I’d actually buy one. Ever. But that’s just me.
The SIG Mosquito is also problematic. It too is a good idea that has less than stellar execution. It looks good, feels good… and just doesn’t quite work as any SIG should.
SIG’s name branded accessories… their holster, lights, laser combos… they just don’t quite work well enough to really warrant the SIG names. See, a long time ago Winchester whored out their name onto a lot of cheap Chinese made crap. SIG has evidently done the same. The SIG holster is a rather poor Serpa knockoff. Their lights either fail or burn through batteries too quickly.
If I were SIG’s CEO, Chairman, Ultimate and Final Decision Maker… Here’s what I’d do:
1. Discontinue the P250 and write it off as a loss. All remaining P250′s would be given to the NRA’s Training program. All of them. Or maybe to the SIG employees who want one. Write them all off for tax purposes.
2. The 2022 pistol needs a bit of work. It seems like an unfinished product. Such as the way the takedown pin sticks out a bit too far and the slide lock lever feels a bit too… chinsey
3. All the cheap items with the SIG name… they are all done. Gone. Instead of cheap crap… contract with those that actually make good products. Or just not bother with them at all, because those items are not in SIG’s mission. Simple as that. SIG makes fine weapons and SIG needs to concentrate on just that.
4. SIG needs to make a tactical shotgun to complete their line up.
5. Drop the Mosquito and bring back the Trailside.
6. Concentrate on Quality Control… above all else… quality.